A Poll: What Should I Read Next?

by Kim on February 11, 2009 · 19 comments

Eva over at A Striped Armchair just posted a poll asking what book she should read next.  I’ve got a bunch of books in progress but don’t know which one to commit to, so I’m stealing her idea and asking for you help!  Below is a poll for you to vote which book I should read next.  If you’re in a reader you’ll have to go to the post, I think, in order to see the poll.

Feel free to leave comments to further explain your answer — I’ll combine votes and comments to decide what book is next!

[polldaddy poll=1361233]

Louise February 11, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Lipstick Jihad sounds like an interesting read!

bermudaonion February 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I voted for High Fidelity.

Infant Bibliophile February 11, 2009 at 12:24 pm

High Fidelity is the only one on the list I’ve read, but it’s a light and fun read that my husband and I both enjoyed (our preferred genres don’t really cross all that often). So if you are in the mood for something not too weighty, you can knock that one off your list quickly.

Joanne February 11, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I voted for “I Was Told There’d Be Cake” – I’ve been waiting for this to come in at my library for awhile now, I’m about #97 on the holds list :)

Rebecca February 11, 2009 at 12:46 pm

HIFi was one of my top 5 all-time favorite movies.
The book was good too of course.

alirambles February 11, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I was torn between Lipstick Jihad and High Fidelity. Ended up voting for Lipstick Jihad because I haven’t read it and want to know what you think.

Steph February 11, 2009 at 2:58 pm

I chose “I Was Told There Would Be Cake”, because it is the one I’m most intrigued by. I’ve heard mixed things about it, so I’d like to hear another intelligent person’s perspective on this collection of essays.

Jessica February 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm

High Fidelity is the kind of book that will score you points with the male readers in your life.

Eva February 11, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I voted for The Orchid Thief, because I read it last year and had such mixed feelings about it, I want to know what you think! :)

sagustocox February 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm

I love the title of Lipstick Jihad, though High Fidelity would be a good read too.

Care February 11, 2009 at 7:10 pm

You know which one I voted for, right? Me and Eva.

Care February 11, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Eva and me?!

Jenners February 11, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I voted for the Sloan Crosley book! For both kind (I’ve heard it is really really good!) and selfish reasons (I want to read your review before I buy it myself).

The only one I read was “High Fidelity” — which was quite good and an easy ready as I remember.

what a fun idea! I might have to try this some time!

Kitten February 11, 2009 at 7:43 pm

A friend of mine just read “Lipstick Jihad” and really liked it. This was a tough decision, though! They all looked great!

Kim L February 12, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I have not read any of those, but I just rewatched the movie version of High Fidelity. I luuurves it. So funny and witty.

Kim February 13, 2009 at 8:42 am

Thanks everyone! I’ve decided to go with High Fidelity first because of the comments that it’s a quick read — I feel like I need to finish a book soon (I haven’t in awhile).

I’m really excited about all of them though — I’ve read a few pages in each and it makes me wish I could read them all at the same time!

Sherrie February 13, 2009 at 9:31 am

Hi Kim,
I voted for The Orchid Thief. It’s on my list of books to read this year. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Melanie February 14, 2009 at 7:02 pm

What, no one voted for The Magician’s Book? ;) I loved it so much. Good for reading in bits and pieces.

Dawn February 21, 2009 at 7:54 pm

I see you’ve already picked your book … my vote was for Nick Hornby’s book. I’ve only read *A Long Way Down* by him, but that was quick (and funny, considering the premise of the book), and I think a clear reflection of his writing style. It sounds like school work is taking a lot of your time, so a quickie was my pick!