Blog Improvement Project Week 6: Let's Get Social!

by Kim on March 16, 2009 · 14 comments

2009bip-150x210 Thanks to everyone who submitted posts for the Social Media Carnival last week — I learned a ton from reading the posts, and I hope everyone else did too.

Week 6 for the Blog Improvement Project (a long three weeks) is going to be pretty simple, trying out a new social media tool.  While I don’t think there is a perfect way to do this, here are some guidelines to follow if you like instructions:

1. Pick out a new social media tool, or reacquaint yourself with a social media tool you already use. If you’re new, sign up and create an account.  Make sure to include your blog URL in your new profile so you can connect across social media platforms.

2. Update your blog to include your new social media contact information. If you want, leave your contact information in the comments here so other BIP participants can connect with you. WordPress doesn’t like comments with a lot of links, so if it doesn’t show up right away be patient, I’ll fish it out of the spam filter ASAP.

3. Spend the next three weeks actively using your new social media. Use all those goals setting techniques we tried in week 1 to set some goals for your social media experiment. For example, set a goal of tweets per day or how many comments you’ll leave on GoodReads reviews to make sure you give it a good shot.

4. Don’t be afraid to connect with other people. Find authors, publishers, famous people, or bloggers that are “bigger” than you and connect with them via social media. Don’t be intimidated, just try it!

5. At the end of your three weeks using more social media, write up a post about how it worked for you. Sign Mr. Linky with your post, I’ll do another Social Media Carnival post at the end of March wrapping up what everyone learned.

Questions, comments, concerns? Leave a comment or shoot me an e-mail and I’ll get back to you ASAP.  Or, seek help from some of the other awesome BIP participants — they know a heck of a lot more than I do!

P.S. As soon as I wrote “Let’s Get Social” it reminded me of the song “Let’s Get Ethical,” as performed by Michael Scott and Holly Flax.  Bonus dork points to everyone who knows what I am talking about :)

julia March 16, 2009 at 9:50 am

I signed up with Twitter for the BIP, so I’ll concentrate on that. It’s been fun so far. A link from Cathy at Kittling: Books showed me how to add Twitter Feed, which I had no idea how to do, otherwise.

I’ll have my BIP post up, later on this evening.

Becky March 16, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I started a twitter account last night. My user name is OperationBible (http://twitter.com/operationbible)

Becky March 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm

My goodreads profile

Dawn March 16, 2009 at 7:08 pm

and what if the Olivia Newton-John song “Let’s Get Physical!” popped into my head?!? Are those extra dork points, or just OLD points?!

Jessica March 17, 2009 at 10:14 am

Kim, I’m very much enjoying BIP. I did a quarterly wrap-up of my participation thus far, because I have not had time to do individual posts. Thanks for hosting this!

Sherrie March 20, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Hi Kim,
Sorry this is being repeated. I made a comment on the wrong week. Anyway, would Eons or Cafe Mom be considered a Social Media? Just wondering! Thanks for all the info! Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Kathrin March 23, 2009 at 4:26 pm

So I’m finally up to date with the recent BIPs. My post is up here. Also, I have a link in that post to my entry for he second task. I have not yet decidede what to do, so I need your help :-)
As for all the social media I’m using:
Twitter: KathrinP
LibraryThing: kathrinsbooks
Good Reads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1375826
I’m also on Facebook, but as I use my real name, I decided that I’d just add everyone who comments with directions to their profiles (I won’t publish those comments, though!).

D Dubs Reads April 3, 2009 at 5:22 pm

So it took me a while to get around to doing this, but I always keep the BIP RSS feed active in my RSS Reader if I haven’t completed it. I decided to go with Delicious for my new social media. I’m not sure what I think about it yet, but I’m glad to have given it a try. You can find my Week Six post here:

Sherrie April 4, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Hi Kim,
I have finally gotten my social media wrap up posted. I can agree with you about putting them on our sidebars. I don’t think people really look at them there. Have a great evening!!

Sherrie

Lisa April 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

Well, I have found myself kind of busy this month and am not sure whether to write a post on this task. I continue to use facebook daily and i do share my posts directly with my facebook account so have kind of followed the spirit of this task but since not really, might just skip this one and move on the next task this week! i am still here but no real progress for this one.

Kim March 16, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Actually, “Let’s Get Physical” jumped into my head just after “Let’s Get Ethical,” so that counts for extra dork points too :)

Kathrin March 23, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Becky, I added you both on Twitter and on Good Reads :-) Feel free to do the same!

Kim April 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I like Delicious a lot, mostly for keeping track of links I want to come back to later. I found a way to add it to my sidebar, but I’m still not sure if anyone looks at that.

Thanks for the post!

Kim April 6, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I didn’t do a second post either; sometimes it’s more work than necessary :)