Quantcast

Poll: What Should I Read in April?

by Kim on March 30, 2009 · 18 comments

I did a poll about a month ago asking for suggestions on what I read. I got a lot of awesome comments and was inspired to finish Lipstick Jihad by Azadeh Moaveni, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, and I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (review in progress). They were all awesome, so I thank you or the votes and ask for your help again…

What book should I be sure to read in April? Leave a comment and let me know!

1. The Magician’s Book by Laura Miller
  2. Clumsy by Jeffrey Brown
  3. Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer
  4. Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin
  5. The Hours by Michael Cunningham
  6. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
Photo by flickr user -bast-

Vasilly March 30, 2009 at 8:12 am

I loved Understanding Comics! It’s a great book. I’m also suggesting The Magician’s Book. I received it last week and it looks great. I can’t wait to see what you pick!

Fyrefly March 30, 2009 at 9:14 am

I haven’t read any of them, but I’m most interested in hearing your thoughts on Under the Banner of Heaven, so that’s my vote.

Care March 30, 2009 at 12:09 pm

THE HOURS! cuz it’s the only one I’ve read.

Nymeth March 30, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Understanding Comics is excellent! And so is The Hours – one of my favourite books.

alirambles March 31, 2009 at 12:13 am

Michael Cunningham is one of my favorite authors, so you should read The Hours.

Kailana March 31, 2009 at 4:38 am

I’d say The Hours, but mostly because it is the only one I have read!

Serena (Savvy Verse & Wit) March 31, 2009 at 8:30 am

I agree The Hours

Steph March 31, 2009 at 10:29 am

Well, much like almost everyone else, the only book on your list I’ve read is “The Hours”… but I’m going to suggest you read “The Magician’s Book” because the title intrigues me and I’d like to learn more!

chartroose March 31, 2009 at 2:33 pm

The Hours, fer sure, dude!

Kim March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Thanks everyone! It looks like The Hours is going to be my next book, as soon as I finish The Professor and the Madman.

I actually just threw in The Hours (it’s been on my TBR shelf for a long time) as a last quick choice because I felt like six choices were better than five and because I thought all my choices might be too obscure. I probably wouldn’t have gotten to it for quite awhile, so I’m glad you all voted for it!

benjaminwheeler March 31, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Understanding Comics!

Lightheaded April 1, 2009 at 10:45 am

Oh I don’t know if you’ve decided but I’m starting on Krakauer’s take on the murder of a mother and child in Utah and it’s riveting.

Though I’d like to read The Hours as well, only if I can find my copy :)

Care April 1, 2009 at 7:26 pm

I’m looking forward to your review of The Prof and Madman!

Jayne April 4, 2009 at 2:57 pm

I have had on my TBR list for the longest time Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I recently caught the movie on a movie channel, and even though I’d seen it before, I watched again. I immediately went to my shelves and took the book down to read. I’ve wanted to for ages, and as I had no other pressing title calling me, I have begun it. I think you’d like it, if you haven’t already read it.

Kim March 31, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’ve wanted to read this book forever, and finally found it at a used bookstore in San Francisco. I’m looking forward to it too.

Kim April 1, 2009 at 10:20 pm

That might be the same book I have. Krakauer is awesome, I loved Into the Wild as well.

Kim April 1, 2009 at 10:21 pm

I have like five pages left (I ran out of time to finish it before class today, how frustrating!).

Kim April 4, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll put it on my list of books to look for at the library next time I go.