The Sunday Salon: New Books!

by Kim on May 3, 2009 · 19 comments

The Sunday Salon.comI feel like I’ve acquired a ton of new books this week. Over the last few weeks I requested a lot of things from the library — the books on my shelves just haven’t been inspiring me. I’m on long wait lists for a few of them, but I guess the others were all in because my library book pile feels huge.

This week The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart came on Wednesday, and I picked up Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain by Maryanne Wolf on my walk to the coffee shop yesterday. I’m not sure when I’m going to get to these, I hope soon.

I also treated myself to some new books for Buy Indie Day (Friday, May 1).  I decided to visit a local indie bookstore, A Room of One’s Own Feminist Bookstore, which is just off State Street in Madison. Since I don’t buy myself new books very often (I mostly buy used), I decided to make these picks a little symbolic (dorky, I know).

The first book I picked was The Book Thief byMarkus Zusak. I bought this entirely based on the great reviews I’ve read on book blogs, so this book represents my love and respect for the book blogosphere.

The second book was Journalistas, an anthology of writing by women journalists. I picked this one to represent my future career in journalism and in deference to the fact that I was shopping at a feminist bookstore.  Again, super dorky, but these things help me justify spending money on new books when I don’t have much money at all!

Both of these books are sitting quietly on my bookshelf, waiting to be read as a reward that I’ve made it to the end of the semester. I cannot wait until I turn in my last final on Friday, May 15!

debnance May 3, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I loved Proust and the Squid, but I love to read about reading.

I’ve tried Book Thief fifteen times, but each time I set it aside before finishing it. I will try it again.

bermudaonion May 3, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I bought The Book Thief on Friday too for the same reasons you did.

Memory May 3, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I love the idea of using symbolism to justify book purchases! I’ve got to try that.

Frances May 3, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Proust and the Squid is still waiting for me on my book shelf. Like debnance, I really enjoy books about reading. When I tell myself I need to be a more well-rounded reader and pick up nonfiction books, I cheat and read nonfiction on reading. So much for well-rounded.

Love your choice of Indie book store! My stop of choice is Politics and Prose here in DC.

Today I am reading the new Laurie King book The Language of Bees, and hosting a book giveaway for The Crimes of Paris. Happy reading!

Gavin May 3, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Proust and the Squid is a great book. I’ve seen Dr. Wolf speak at conferences and she is wonderful. Journalistas looks like fun!

Suey May 3, 2009 at 9:53 pm

The Book Thief is one of those books that I get jealous of those getting to read it for the first time. So I’m very excited for you! Enjoy!

Karen May 4, 2009 at 3:07 am

The Book Thief was my best read for 2008 without a doubt! I still talk about it all the time – I hope you enjoy it just as much.

Jeanne May 4, 2009 at 8:47 am

The first time I “read” The Book Thief was listening to the audiotape during my commute, so that’s an option for those who have trouble getting into the story. For me, the way it’s told was part of the charm. I had to get the book in my hands so I could look at more of it, after I finished listening.

Christine May 4, 2009 at 6:37 pm

The Book Thief is fantastic — I can’t wait to see what you think of it!

Kim L May 6, 2009 at 9:29 pm

LOVED The Disreputable History. Fabulous read, I hope you enjoy it!

And I also really liked The Book Thief. In fact, I just wrote a review of it a few minutes ago, so that one is on my mind. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Kim May 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm

I can’t remember how I heard about Proust and the Squid, but I am excited for it. And wow, that’s the first not positive thing I’ve heard about The Book Thief, I think. Interesting.

Kim May 3, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Yay, I’m glad I’m not the only nerd :)

Kim May 3, 2009 at 3:34 pm

It helped me feel like I was making a statement, which doesn’t mitigate the fact that I spent too much money, but oh well :) All of Buy Indie Day is sort of symbolic anyway, using your money to support causes that are important, so I think it makes sense.

Kim May 3, 2009 at 3:35 pm

I love books about reading too. Reading Lolita in Tehran is one of my favorite books, and it’s a book about reading.

Kim May 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I think it’ll be fun; I’m a fan of anthologies and whatnot. I was sold on getting it when I came across a 1916 piece by Emma Goldman “The Social Aspects of Birth Control” — maybe it’s weird, but that sounds fascinating to me!

Kim May 3, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Ooo, awesome! I can think of a few books like that, The Time Traveler’s Wife comes to mind right away.

Kim May 4, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m excited for the book — it’s sitting on my shelf right now just waiting :)

Kim May 4, 2009 at 10:16 am

I love books that make you want to go back for more after you finish it — that makes me glad that I bought it instead of getting it from the library.

Kim May 7, 2009 at 10:23 am

I’m reading The Disreputable History right now, and it is fantastic. I’ve been reading it before bed, and it’s really hard to put it down.