What Book Should I Read in May?

by Kim on May 5, 2009 · 14 comments

In March and April, I asked my blog readers to vote on one book that I should be sure to finish during that month. I had fun with both of them, since they inspired me to read books that I have on my TBR list but keep putting off.

The previous books readers helped select were High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, I Was Told Thereā€™d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley, and The Hours by Michael Cunningham — most books that I enjoyed quite a bit.

There’s a few repeats and a couple of new books on the list… what do you think? What book should I be sure to read in May? Leave your vote in the comments!

1. The Magician’s Book by Laura Miller
  2. Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin
  3. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
  4. Proust and the Squid by Maryanne Wold
  5. Learning to Drive by Katha Pollit
Photo by flickr user -bast-

J.S. Peyton May 5, 2009 at 8:31 am

My vote’s for “Learning to Drive.” It’s the only book of the group that I’ve read, but more than that, I devoured this collection of essays. I normally read more than one book at a time, but I read this all by itself because I simply couldn’t put it down. I loved it!

Steph May 5, 2009 at 9:07 am

I was going to vote for The Magician’s Book again, but after reading J.S. Peyton’s rec, I’m going to second her vote and suggest you read “Learning To Drive”! And maybe I’ll go add it to my TBR pile too… ;)

bermudaonion May 5, 2009 at 9:21 am

I haven’t read any of the books, but I’m going to vote for Proust and the Squid.

Vasilly May 5, 2009 at 11:27 am

I’m voting for McCloud, Miller, and Pollit. Understanding Comics is a great book. The Magician’s Book is on my shelves now and a summer read. I’ve heard so many great things about Pollit that she’s on my TBR list.

anthropologist May 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

I loved FINDING GEORGE ORWELL IN BURMA. Larkin is a great stylist: she’s not only capturing a place, she’s capturing a mood, and she does it about contemporary Burma as well as the Burma of George Orwell’s day. It’s a sad book, but I just loved it. (I DO have a predilection for sad books — though they don’t make me sad, other people seem to be sad after reading my choices. Just thought I’d come clean!)

PhoenixTerran May 5, 2009 at 11:42 am

I vote Understanding Comics. I’ll even read it along with you…I’ve been meaning to get around to it for quite some time now.

Nymeth May 5, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Understanding Comics! Because it’s awesome and because I’ve love to hear your thoughts on it.

wendy May 5, 2009 at 11:22 pm

*sings* Hi Ho something here for you…

Karen May 6, 2009 at 3:39 am

I haven’t heard of any of these books but I am going to vote for The Magician’s Book – simply because I love the title!

jennysbooks May 6, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Okay, I have heard some slightly bad things about The Magician’s Book, so I’m going to say Understanding Comics. Everyone keeps telling me to read it, I want more opinions on it before I do!

(Selfish motives.)

Kim May 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

I think you’re the person who recommended it to me, actually, after I trashed IWTTBC. I’m excited to read it, even if it doesn’t win :)

Kim May 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

It’s hard to choose, I sort of want to read all of them at the same time, even though that’s not possible. I think I have over ambitious reading goals for the summer…

Kim May 6, 2009 at 11:18 am

I’m not really against sad books either, they usually make me think more. I also love well-written books, so I think this will be a good one once I get to it.

Kim May 6, 2009 at 11:24 am