What Book Should I Read in June?

by Kim on June 2, 2009 · 18 comments

For the last several months I’ve asked you guys to vote on one book that I should be sure to finish during that month. After three times I guess this is sort of a feature?

I like doing it because it inspires me to pick books that I’ve had on my shelf for awhile and have been putting off. The previous books readers helped select were High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, I Was Told Thereā€™d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley, The Hours by Michael Cunningham, and Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud.

This month I went with all new books. Which book should I be sure to read in June? You can vote in the poll and/or leave your vote in the comments, I’ll tally everything up at the end of the week and announce the winner!

[polldaddy poll=1656664]

Photo by flickr user -bast-

Jason Dean June 2, 2009 at 9:03 am

Since there is not Hunter Thompson on the list, the obvious choice is Neil Gaiman. Big fan of American Gods.

jennysbooks June 2, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Okay, I would say American Gods, but not if you didn’t get on with it well the first time. I would say, read Neverwhere, and then go back and read American Gods.

…But if you’re not going to do that, and it’s American Gods or knock Gaiman on the head for the month of June, I vote for Love Walked In. Does that work as a vote???

Care June 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm

I’ve read The Year of Magical Thinking and yet still haven’t read any of her fiction. I don’t know anything about the O’Brien one and the other 3 are in my tbr! I vote for the Gaiman.

Ali (Worducopia) June 2, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I voted for Zadie Smith because I just read somewhere how wonderful she is. I haven’t read any of the books on your list, though.

nat @ book, line, and sinker June 3, 2009 at 6:19 am

great idea–i am doing a summer challenge composed purely of other bloggers’ favorite book suggestions!

i haven’t read anything on the list except for the didion novel, but have heard rave reviews about love walked in (and de los santos’s other novel!) neil gaiman seems pretty popular and i’ve seen his work on numerous blogs.

i’d say that you can’t go wrong with any of the books on your poll!

Karen June 3, 2009 at 6:40 am

This was such a hard choice for me!! I ended up voting for Love Walked In – just a gorgeous book I thought – but I could have voted for about 3 others – all such different books!

The Brain Lair June 3, 2009 at 9:06 am

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler – best way to kick off summer is to read a book with the word “summer” in the title!!

Jeanne June 3, 2009 at 9:07 am

I like Anansi Boys better than American Gods–I thought he’d developed as a writer by the time he wrote it, and it goes into more depth on one of the “Gods” themes.

So I voted for The Year of Magical Thinking, because I’m not going to read it myself anytime soon and would like someone else to tell me what they think of it!

Joanne June 5, 2009 at 4:17 pm

What a hard choice! Between American Gods and Year Of Magical Thinking I chose Didion. But I think you could/should read both in June ;)

theorist June 7, 2009 at 5:07 am

I voted with the majority, but would also like to suggest a novel from a small publisher. The book is called Last Night in Montreal by Emily St. John Mandel. See here: http://emilymandel.com/

Kim June 3, 2009 at 7:58 am

I started American Gods last year but didn’t get into it right away. I want to try again though, so this is a good way to do it.

Kim June 3, 2009 at 7:59 am

Ha ha, of course that does! I’ll take your vote with qualifications into account :)

Kim June 3, 2009 at 8:00 am

Wow, our common TBR lists strike again!

Kim June 3, 2009 at 8:01 am

I got the Zadie Smith book for $2 in a clearance section and have been waiting to read it. I started over Christmas but wasn’t digging it then, even though I knew I should. I want to try again, but it looks like it’s pretty far behind in the vote for now and might have to wait a bit.

Kim June 3, 2009 at 8:01 am

My sister read Love Walked In and liked it. I agree though, I think just about any of these books will be good this month.

Kim June 3, 2009 at 8:02 am

Yes, they’re pretty across the board, except that they’re all fiction. I like having a variety though, it keeps things interesting.

Kim June 5, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Good vote, I think. That’s one of the books I am supposed to read for the Spring Reading Thing challenge that is ending pretty darn soon. Yikes!

Kim June 5, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I hope I can read both, since the Didion book is a challenge book. However, if I don’t finish it then I continue on my challenge failure streak.