The Story of a Stroke (My Multimedia Project)

by Kim on August 19, 2009 · 12 comments

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that I’ve been interning at The Capital Times this summer. Along with learning about online journalism, posting stories to the web, writing features for print, and generally helping out, I also spent a long time working on a multimedia project.

stroke storyThe project is an interactive timeline about the day of a stroke and accompanies a story about new devices that are expanding the possiblity that doctor’s can help or even save stroke victims.

You can view the timeline by clicking on the screenshot on the right, or you can follow this link to read the story which links to the timeline.

Putting together the timeline was such a learning experience for me. I got to work with two different photographers, a videographer, and our health reporter, Shawn Doherty. It was different working with so many people, since I’m used to doing multimedia projects and reporting all on my own. It’s sometimes hard to get everyone involved on the same page, but it’s helpful to have extra brains when you’re out shooting.

One thing I especially loved was watching the way Shawn went about reporting the story and seeing how she is able to draw out people’s stories in an interview. I haven’t gotten to shadow reporters much, but it’s cool to see a little bit into their process.

I’m planning to post a longer list of my stories from the summer sometime next week, but I’m so excited about this one that I had to post about it right away. Enjoy!

Jenny August 20, 2009 at 7:58 am

That is so neat! I am absolute rubbish at this sort of thing, so I’m triple impressed. I’m glad this project has been such a good experience for you!

Care August 20, 2009 at 8:00 am

way cool!

Lu August 20, 2009 at 8:26 am

I love Vuvox! I had to do a multimedia project for my creative writing class (in Spanish) but it doesn’t look nearly as professional as this. This is really great :)

Here’s my own vuvox:

justicejenniferreads August 20, 2009 at 11:44 am

Wow, your timeline is so impressive! Great work. It sounds like your internship has been an awesome experience for you. Lucky girl. I need to land an internship that will get me away from my mindless desk position in the library.

Julia Smith August 21, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for letting us have a glimpse of your internship. Very impressive.

Margot August 21, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Very interesting to hear about your internship. I don’t believe I’ve ever known anyone who has had this experience. Thanks for sharing.

Kim August 20, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Thank you! I wasn’t so great either, it takes a lot of trial and error. Plus, I had such good material from the photographers and stuff, which helped a lot.

Kim August 20, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Thanks :)

Kim August 20, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Yours was neat Lu, thanks for the link. I wish I could read Spanish so I could understand it :)

They’ve done a few other VuVox timelines for the paper, and a lot of them used the pictures like you did — putting them together into a mural, almost. So when I pitched the idea of a timeline, some people were skeptical because they weren’t thinking about using VuVox like I wanted to (with more separated pictures and stuff). It’s interesting to see all the different ways people use it.

Kim August 20, 2009 at 4:17 pm

It really has been. I’ve never worked in a newsroom with so many other veteran reporters, so every day is a learning experience for me. Once in awhile though, when deadlines are pressing or people won’t call me back, I sort of wish for a desk job at a library :)

Kim August 23, 2009 at 8:39 am

Thank you!

Kim August 23, 2009 at 8:40 am

For people going into journalism, getting some experience via freelancing or interning is a huge thing. Although, the way the economy is right now, I suspect having an internship is something that just about everyone should be thinking about — it makes you a much better job candidate.