Today marks my two year anniversary blogging! How awesome is that? In honor of this auspicious occasion, I’m excited to brag just a little bit about some of my biggest blog accomplishments over the last year, plus share some exciting upcoming life changes. Then, a big thank you… read on!
- In September 2009 was shortlisted for Best Nonfiction Review Blog for Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2009. That’s amazing, and I am so honored.
- Earlier this year I was invited to be a panelist at the 2010 Book Blogger Convention coming up in just a couple of weeks. I’ll be speaking on the Writing and Building Content panel moderated by Rebecca from The Book Lady’s Blog with Amanda from The Zen Leaf, Betsy Bird from A Fuse 8 Production and Christina from Stacked. Again, what a huge honor.
- Last fall I moved my blog from WordPress to being self-hosted. That was a step I’d been wanting to make, and finally this year I got to do it. So far, so good.
- Last summer I did some book reviews with my little sister, Jenny. We took turns making the other read some books out of our comfort zone. We did The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, The Truth About Forever, and The Time Traveler’s Wife and did a vlog (with a special guest, little brother Kevin)! I also read Infinite Jest. That was a huge book.
- I hosted the Blog Improvement Project here at the blog for most of the year, then moved it to it’s own space and started co-hosting with the awesome Jackie from Farm Lane Books. If you haven’t joined, feel free to start at any time — we always welcome newcomers!
- I also started getting a lot more review copies of books. The most exciting one so far was an ARC of Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. It’s been tricky learning to balance review copies with trying to read my own books, but it’s the good sort of tricky.
- I started a semi-regular feature called Narrative Nonfiction 5, which I’ve been woefully lax in working on but that I’m still excited about. I also recently ranted about Nicholas Sparks, a fun and different type of post for me.
I started this blog in May 2008 right as I was finishing up my undergrad career. I’ve blogged all the way through grad school and soon will have a master’s in journalism and mass communication from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
Also, even more excitingly, I’ve been offered a full time job as an associate editor at a trade magazine based here in Madison. I don’t plan to blog about my job much, but getting the job is a big deal to me and I wanted to share with all of you. I’ve been very anxious about the prospect of unemployment (which for people my age is far, far from uncommon), so getting this job is awesome.
I also got a cat, Hannah. She’s pretty awesome too.
And A Big Thank You
I know everyone says this, but really one of the best parts of blogging is the chance to connect with other readers and friends. You all have kept me reading and writing when I felt alone, connected me with books and experiences I would have never found myself, and shared some of my most exciting moments over the last two years. I can’t thank you all enough for that. I can’t wait to see how this blog transitions as I do, and I’m glad you all will be part of that journey.
Doing giveaways tends to stress me out, and since it’s my blogiversary I don’t need the stress 🙂 But suffice it to say, if we met in person I’d give each and every one of you a huge hug and say thanks, for everything.
In the spirit of always improving, do you have any suggestions for how I can keep improving? Any favorite parts of the blog I should be sure not to mess with?