Monday Tally: Sun Chips and Lady Gaga

by Kim on October 11, 2010 · 24 comments

monday-tag-150px Monday Tally is a weekly link round-up of some of my favorite posts discovered over the week. If you have suggestions for Monday Tally, please e-mail sophisticated [dot] dorkiness [at] gmail [dot] com. Enjoy!

It’s a little bit of a short and late Tally this week, but still full of linky goodness.

I wrote a blog for work this week titled, Sorry, I Can’t Hear You, I’m Eating Sun Chips. I was amused by it, and you might be to.

Confessions of a Used-Book Salesman: This is, I think, the most interesting story of the week. A guy goes into junk shops with a laser scanner, collecting used books for super cheap in order to sell them for profit on the Amazon Marketplace. Is nothing sacred?

Cupcakes, from A to Z! Enough said.

Make Magazine shows how to easily make a secret compartment by hollowing out the middle of a book. I’m sure everyone knows this, but I remain impressed and want one SO BAD.

The New York Times recommends six books for wine and spirits lovers. Good books, one and all.

In a digital age, has the business card become irrelevant? The Washington Post says no, which anecdotal evidence from my own life backs up.

In another very informative post, the Big Bad Book Blog breaks down each of the major jobs in the process of publishing and marketing a book.

A University of Oregon acappella group, On the Rocks, did an amazing version of “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga. I was singing this song all weekend.

How Apple plays the pricing game – super smart and super misleading.

Hunter S. Thompson once applied for a journalism job at the Vancouver Sun, which shares his cover letter. As my friend Erin said, “I’m not a huge Thompson fan, but I do admire and appreciate his willingness to just really commit those thoughts to paper no matter what they are.”

This article goes into the, “I Totally Thought of This Already, But Didn’t Get Paid to Think It” category: Entertainment Weekly looks at how reality tv explains The Hunger Games.

Danielle Evans is one of the authors I saw at the Wisconsin Book Festival (a full recap coming this week). The Washington Post looks at her ability to straddle racial divides in her writing.

If the Sims were on Facebook, this is what might happen. Hilarious.

Book for My TBR

The Rights of the Reader by Daniel Pennac because of a post from Erin at Erin Reads. And that’s all, because I was really bad about reading blogs last week and that’s where I get all my recommendations.

Erin October 11, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh. My. GOSH. That might be the funniest acappella performance I’ve ever seen. Which might sound odd, but my school was big on acappella, so I have seen a LOT of them.

Hooray, I’m glad The Rights of the Reader made it into your TBR pile! I don’t think you’ll regret the add.

That is a fantastic link round-up. Thanks! Also, thanks in advance from my husband for getting “Bad Romance” stuck in my head. He’ll be so…um…happy!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Erin: I love when people just go for it with stuff like that, and those guys totally did. Amazing. And I am jealous you got to see a lot of acappella – I love that, but don’t see it often at all. Happy singing :)

Cass October 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Yay for an acappella video!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Cass: Yay, indeed. I want to watch more of those.

Trisha October 11, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I adore that cover letter and wish the people who try to get a job at the school would have some of his flair. Most cover letters are so unbelievably boring.

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Trisha: Tell me about it. I know the ones I wrote were just painful, but I’m not gutsy enough to be like that. It’s something to strive for, maybe?

Vasilly October 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

You have to read The Rights of the Reader! It’s such an amazing book! I’ve been thinking about re-reading it. Danielle Evans is a writer I recently discovered a few months ago and now I can’t wait to read her latest book. Great links. I can’t wait to see them all.

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Vasilly: I have to find The Rights of the Reader first – it’s not at my library, as far as I can tell. It might be a bit of a hunt. Danielle Evans was lovely at the WI Book Festival – I’m hoping to read her book sometime.

softdrink October 11, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I bought The Rights of the Reader thanks to Erin…it was totally worth it.

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

softdrink: Where did you get it? I’m having a hard time finding it anywhere besides Amazon. I might special order it to a local indie as a treat for Christmas or something.

Memory October 11, 2010 at 9:47 pm

That cupcake ABC is adorable, AND it made me drool! I totally want a cupcake now.

(Although, to be fair, that’s nothing new. I almost always want a cupcake).

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Memory: It made me drool too. I love cupcakes, all the time :)

Iris October 12, 2010 at 1:26 am

That version of Bad Romance has been stuck in my head for months, I can’t hear the song in a shop (because that’s usually where I hear it) and not think of the silly dances and everything. Love it!

And the cupcakes!!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Iris: I had it stuck in my head all weekend. I was singing “Bad Romance” all the time – I cannot imagine how annoying it was to everyone around me.

Suzanne October 12, 2010 at 7:22 am

I love the link about the used bookseller. I volunteer at our library book sales and I see these people every time — there is a $10 admission for the first day of the sale and they still line up at the door waiting to go in. It’s quite entertaining to watch, really.

… avoiding the video for now to prevent the song staying in my head all day, but I’ll be back!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Suzanne: I thought that was super interesting, even if it did make me a little annoyed. Used book sales should be for book lovers, or something like that. It certainly takes a lot of work.

Jeanne October 12, 2010 at 8:21 am

The kids and I noticed the noisy Sun Chips bag recently!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Jeanne: It’s such an odd and interesting story that I just don’t quite understand. Is the bag really THAT loud? I didn’t really think so, but maybe I’m just not that sensitive with my hearing.

Amy October 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Oh business cards are still needed. Love your article! And those cupcakes make me hungry!

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Amy: I think people will like business cards for awhile, although I do think it’s funny you can get a lot of gadgets to organize your business cards and make them electronic, when you could just exchange electronic info in the first place.

Jenny October 13, 2010 at 5:58 am

I’ve seen those people at book sales with the scanners! I am always picturing them and me seeing a wonderful book at exactly the same second, and us having to get into a fight over it. Surely I would win. Surely my strength would be as the strength of ten because my heart is pure. :p

That Sims thing made me laugh until my face hurt. I was constantly taking the poor Sims’ ladders away so they had to drown in their pools.

Kim October 14, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Jenny: LOL! Yes, pure intentions are stronger and you would clearly win :) I didn’t kill to many Sims, but I did make them be awfully mean to each other sometimes just because it made me laugh.

Gwen October 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Those Sun Chips bags are SOOOOO Loud that I won’t buy them. I am all for being green and saving the planet, but they give me a headache.

I have to raise my hand and say that I did work for a while as a book picker, not for amazon though. If I had a scanner, it might have been more profitable, but it also would have made me feel dirty somehow;)

Kim October 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Gwen: Ugh, that sucks! I never thought they were that loud, but that’s just me :)

I was thinking to a friend about the book scanner story, and she she said she knew people who had done that. It’s not a bad thing necessarily, but it just seems dirty somehow!