Quantcast

Reminder: BookClubSandwich Reads ‘The Jungle’ by Upton Sinclair

by Kim on November 2, 2010 · 10 comments

Post image for Reminder: BookClubSandwich Reads ‘The Jungle’ by Upton Sinclair

This is just a quick reminder post that BookClubSandwich, an online book club for foodies and wannabes, co-hosted by me and Andi of Estella’s Revenge, will be “meeting” online next Monday, November 8 to read Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle.

On Monday I’ll put up an initial post with some thoughts, discussion questions, and a Mr. Linky for your reviews. You can post your thoughts anytime that week, then Andi will do a wrap-up post on Monday, November 15.

I just started reading The Jungle over the weekend, and already can think of things to talk about. One note in the introduction of my edition said that Sinclair was a little peeved about the reception of The Jungle and how focused everyone was one the food aspect. He’d originally written the book as a support of socialism, not as a food manifesto, yet we mostly remember it for the food. I’m curious to see how I read the book thinking about those things.

I also checked out a graphic novel version of the book thanks to a recommendation from Lisa at Lit and Life, which I’m also excited to compare. Is it clear yet that I’m excited?

Anyway, I hope you’re looking forward to this as much as I am and will be able to join us all next week for a discussion of this important book.

Trisha November 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I tried reading this in high school and it just didn’t work for me. I’m excited to see your thoughts though as many have told me I would appreciate it more now!

Kim November 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Trisha: I don’t think I would have liked it in high school either – the writing style is a little difficult to deal with. I think I appreciate what Sinclair is trying to do with the book reading it now than I would have then.

Erin November 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm

A friend of mine just read this for her book group and said it was really interesting. I’m not sure it’s for me, but I’m looking forward to your thoughts on it!

Kim November 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Erin: I do think it’s really interesting, although the style and subject aren’t for everyone. Some of it is pretty disgusting, actually, and not something I like reading during my lunch break at work!

Lisa November 3, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Heck now you’ve got me interested, too!

Kim November 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Lisa: That’s great! I’m looking forward to the comic version, as well.

Andi November 3, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I’ve got my Nook all fired up and charged, ready to read!

Kim November 3, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Andi: Sweet! I think the book starts a little slow, but it’s been getting a lot better as it goes on.

Ash November 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I love The Jungle! It’s one of my favorite books I read this year. I read it quite awhile ago, I think in March, but I’ll definitely check out your post and share some thoughts. Really looking forward to your thoughts on the graphic novel as I didn’t know such a book existed!

Kim November 6, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Ash: Yay, that’s good! I don’t know if I’d say it’s a favorite book, but I’m almost done and I feel confident it’s a book I’m going to be glad I actually read. I just got the graphic novel recommendation from Lisa, and I love the art style, I’m not sure about the story yet.