Oh, It’s Good to Be a Book Blogger

by Kim on March 23, 2011 · 32 comments

Even though I always love being a book blogger, I feel like there are some especially exciting events and projects going on right now in this corner of the blogosphere, and I wanted to take just a minute to share three of them with you.

2011 Indie Lit Awards

Earlier this year I posted quite a bit about my involvement with the Indie Lit Awards, and my role as the Director of the Non-Fiction panel. Apparently I did a good job last year, because I was asked to take that on again. I’m excited to report that the Non-Fiction panel is mostly intact from last year, with three of our four expert panelists returning.

The biggest news related to non-fiction is that the category has been split, with a new Biography/Memoir category that will be directed by a former non-fiction panelist, Florinda of The 3R’s Blog. Personally, I think splitting non-fiction into two categories is a great decision. Memoirs are such different books than other more fact-based nonfiction, it will be good to assessing them separately.

The bloggers who will be serving as the voting members of the 2011 Indie Lit Award Non-Fiction panel are:

Since we’re starting earlier this year, there is more time to pay attention to all of the great non-fiction books coming out this year. If you have suggestions — books you’ve read and loved, or books you think we may miss, please send an e-mail my way so I can keep my eyes open.

The Read-a-Thon is On!

The other most exciting thing in the land of book blogging is Dewey’s Read-a-Thon, which is scheduled for Saturday, April 9. Right now I’m planning to read for the entire day, cheer for other bloggers a bit, and even give away a prize pack (or two) of some ARCs on my shelves.

And, of course, I’m already trying to come up with a pile of books to read. I decided I’m just going to read my own books — no review copies — since I want to just be able to read, relax, and not worry about doing reviews if I don’t feel like it.

I learned last time that books for the Read-a-Thon should be short-ish, have a strong narrative, and remain consistently engaging. I’ve got a few books I hope fit the bill on my shelves, including:

I’m confident the list of possibilities is going to grow, probably with some more fiction, but this is what caught my eye right away.

BEA and BBC in NYC, Oh My!

I just got around to registering for the Book Blogger Convention and Book Expo America yesterday. This is loads earlier than I did all that work last year, so I feel ahead, but it seems like many bloggers are already booking plane tickets. I do have my hostel picked out and some lovely book bloggers to “room” with, so things are getting organized.

If you have the opportunity to go to New York for even just a couple of days, both book events are a lot of fun. Last year I was only there for about two full days, and felt like there were so many more fun things I could have done. But I was a student and not quite employed, so it worked. This year I’ve got my vacation days lined up and some money saved — big city, here I come!

Edited to Add: If you aren’t able to make it to either of these events in New York, which is the case for many people, you can still keep up with the action by following Armchair BEA, a virtual convention for people who aren’t able to attend. It looks like a lot of fun!

Helen Murdoch March 23, 2011 at 6:41 am

It’s all such good news! I am excited about the read-a-thon and will bring home YA lit from my school to read since it reads so quickly. Alas, I cannot go to BEA :-( since that’s always the busiest week for me at work. Very sad.

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Helen: YA lit is a great idea for a read-a-thon, it does read quickly. Bummer about not going to BEA, but I think Armchair BEA will be great.

Amy March 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

So excited about the indie lit awards again this year, and I hope we get more non-fiction nominations in my own category :D Also, can’t wait for BEA!!

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Amy: I’m really excited about it too! I think it will be great to see more nonfiction in the GLBT category. There’s so much of it.

Amy March 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

And BBC, of course!!

Care March 23, 2011 at 10:10 am

I will be thinking of you and wishing I was in NYC! I know you will have a great time and I can’t wait to hear ALL about it.
(Pssst – The Imperfectionists is actually set is Rome.)

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Care: We’ll be thinking of you, too! And thanks for the correction; silly me.

Teresa March 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

All great things. You’ve got a lot going on. I don’t think I’ve told you before, but I love your blog!

I’ll be at Armchair BEA again this year. Maybe next year for the real thing?

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Teresa: Yeah, there’s lots of little things going on that are exciting. I’ll have to pay more attention to Armchair BEA, but it looks fun!

Trisha March 23, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I am so jealous about the BEA/BBC! I can’t make it this year. :(

I am, however, very excited about both the Indie Lit Awards and the Readathon!

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Trisha: Aww, bummer! But the other two things are really exciting, so yay!

Susan March 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I’ve been a cheer leader at the Read-a-thon, though I got my times mixed up and missed a chunk at the end! I’ve always thought this a good – no, wonderful – idea, but with two small children, still impossible for me to do and retain any sanity. I will pop in of course, and I hope you have lots of fun and good reading time!

Susan March 23, 2011 at 7:40 pm

PS I forgot – congratulations on chairing the non-fiction of the Indie Awards. I have to see what I can find for your consideration and Wendy’s over at Literary Feline for mysteries……

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Susan: I love cheerleading. I think I end up doing it part of the day unexpectedly, and it’s always so fun. Everyone has so much energy. I love it.

And thank you! I’m excited to be doing Indie Lit Awards for the entire year this year.

Vasilly March 23, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I’m excited about the Indie Lit Awards too especially since this is my first year participating as a voting member. I’ll keep my eyes out for any great non-fiction titles.

I haven’t started making a stack of books for the read-a-thon yet but maybe I should start. I can’t wait for all the events. This is a great time to be a book blogger! :-D

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Vasilly: That’s great, congrats for being a voting member for the Indie Lit awards this year!

I’ve been adding more and more books to my Read-a-thon stack. It’s getting impossibly high.

Jennifer March 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm

So many awesome blogger events going on. I hope to take part in the readathon this year. I am working on creating my list but I think I’m going to try and just read whatever I feel like. I also wish I could go to New York for BEA or BBC. However, I just can’t see myself affording a trip to New York right now. But it is something I can look forward to in the future. Plus, I’m still building blogger connections so I feel like going in a few years would probably be a better plan for me. I have been really enjoying reading reviews from Indie Lit Awards panelists – so many of the picks sound sooo good. I’m looking forward to seeing more. I’m especially looking forward to reading more about the nonfiction/memoir picks because that is definitely a genre that I want to be reading more of this year.

Kim March 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Jennifer: Now that I’m working full time, I can finally afford to take a gun trip to New York. I’m looking forward to it. I can’t wait to see all the nonfiction and memoir books that get nominated for the awards.

Belle Wong March 24, 2011 at 9:50 pm

A lot of exciting things coming up, that’s for sure! I’m planning on cheering at this year’s readathon. It’s going to be fun. I wish I could go to the NYC events!

Kim March 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Belle: Yes, there are some very exciting things coming up. It’s going to be busy few months, between life and blogging.

Florinda March 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I still don’t have a roommate for BEA/BBC, but I have the hotel room and the plane tickets – and two months from now, we’ll be there! Looking forward to meeting you in person, finally :-).

I agree that memoirs and biographies should be evaluated differently than fact-based nonfiction, so I’m glad they’ll have their own Indie Lit Awards panel for 2011 – and while I’ll miss working with you on the Non-fiction panel, I’m very excited that I was asked to direct it!

And yay Readathon! I’m taking the day before it off from work so I can get chores done and be ready to settle in with my books…whatever they turn out to be, because I really haven’t had time to figure that out yet.

Kim March 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Florinda: Yay, so close! I can’t wait to meet you in person, even if it feels like we already have.

Taking the day off work before the Read-a-thon is brilliant. I wish I had enough vacation days to do that, but hopefully the week ahead and I can get work done to spend the entire day just reading.

Jenny March 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

Goody, BEA! Now all I have to do is figure out what my vacation situation is at work. We have these fantastically complicated rules about vacation days and personal days and floating holidays, and I have yet to figure them out so I can come to BEA.

Kim March 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Jenny: My work is fantastically uncomplicated when it comes to vacation, which is so very nice. I hope you get everything figured out — can’t wait to meet you!

Colleen March 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I am excited to be participating in all three events this year! Looking forward to seeing you at BEA!

Kim March 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Colleen: That’s great, and same to you!

Cass March 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

So many exciting things coming up in the book blogging world! I’m excited for all of them. :D

Kim March 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Cass: Me too! As much as I like writing about books, it’s doing these community things that makes me really love book blogging.

Erin March 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm

What exciting things on the horizon! I can’t wait for the Read-a-thon; I had so much fun with my first one last fall. Thanks for the ArmchairBEA link! I so wish I could go, but finances won’t allow it this year. Maybe next year!

Kim March 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Erin: I can’t wait for the Read-a-thon as well. Last year I was in Iowa with my sister and my sprained ankle. This year I’m at home, which I think will be fun too.

Trish March 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Wow Kim–lots of great things to look forward to! I had really wanted to go to BEA this year but obviously it won’t work. Now I’ve unfortunately lost interest in a lot of it.

But the readathon!? YIPPEEEE!! Can’t wait and glad to see you’ll be reading as well. And totally agree about the books–short and easy. And a nice stack to choose from.

Kim March 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Trish: Yes, a lot of fun! It’s a bummer you won’t be at BEA, but of course your “excuse” is a pretty great one :)

And YAY, read-a-thon! You’re one of my favorite cheerleaders for the event. I got some comics from the library today too, so I have plenty to choose from.