If I Could Read Everything…

by Kim on February 1, 2012 · 12 comments

Post image for If I Could Read Everything…

If I could read everything, I would be …

… learning about flying cars and space portals with Michio Kaku (The Physics of the Future).

… working on my cultural enlightenment with Jen Lancaster (My Fair Lazy).

… exploring an alternate history of the United States with Matt Ruff (The Mirage).

… discovering uncharted territory in New Guinea (complete with a previously undiscovered tribe of natives) with Mitchell Zuckhoff (Lost in Shangri-La).

… falling in love with my stove with Cathy Erway (The Art of Eating In).

… revisiting Jane Eyre with Margot Livesey (The Flight of Gemma Hardy).

… bemoaning the dark side of American politics with Alan Huffman and Michael Rejebian (We’re With Nobody).

… scheming to reclaim my stolen crown with George R.R. Martin (A Clash of Kings).

… fantasizing about Victorian poets with A.S. Baytt (Possession).

… and fighting against the growing Nazi threat in Berlin with Erik Larson (In the Garden of Beasts).

But I can’t read everything. So for now, I’m laughing out loud with Mindy Kaling (Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)) and wishing that there were a million more hours in the day for reading.

If you could read everything, what would you be doing right now?

Photo Credit: Warron Bebster

Andi (Estella's Revenge) February 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm

GREAT post! I love this and am experiencing my own “if I could read everything” week.

Katie @ Doing Dewey February 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Reading everything, obviously :-P Seriously though, trying to read my way through the dewey decimal system has made me want to expand what I read because I’m enjoying reading about so many new topics. Even fiction books outside of my usual sci-fi/fantasy categories are starting to look good to me, so I pretty much want to check out the whole library every time I go!

Kim February 4, 2012 at 10:39 am

That’s so cool, and an awesome side effect to your project! The library can be a dangerous place :)

Kailana February 2, 2012 at 12:22 am

What a fun idea!

Belle Wong February 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

If I could read everything I wanted to read … I’d be freeing up room on my shelves and going on a book shopping spree!

Kim February 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

Yes! That would be the best unintended consequence of reading everything.

Meg February 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

A million more hours would be wonderful — and I think about this all the time! So many great books are gathering dust in my bookcase, unread, and I actually feel anxious thinking about when I might get to them. Fun post!

Kim February 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’ve been trying not to be anxious about unread book, but I definitely know what you mean. Right now, I just feel this yearning to get to all of them… so many possibilities.

Melanie February 4, 2012 at 2:25 am

There’s never enough time, is there? I seem to be going through a bit of a reading slump right now, which is always a huge bummer. I seem to be turning to TV and movies for the majority of my entertainment recently, heh.

Kim February 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

I have definitely been there. The whole first part of January, I couldn’t seem to read anything. You’ll get past it, I’m sure!

Amy February 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is a great post, I love it. Oh I wish I had so much more time to read. I sometimes get agida trying to figure out how I’m going to pick my next book or whether or not I really, truly, without a doubt want to read a book!
But I suppose there are worse concerns in life, right?!

Kim February 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Ha, yes, there are definitely worse things to worry about :)