- The boyfriend and I are moving again next weekend… again. I thought when we found the house we’re renting now, we’d be able to stay for most of our time in small town Minnesota, but earlier this summer our landlord decided to sell the house. It hasn’t sold yet, but we decided we couldn’t stay in a place where we’d have no guarantees after our original lease was up. It’s been a stressful time, trying to decide if we should move and then where to go — the rental market in this area is terrible — but I’m glad it’ll be done with in a week.
- I should have been packing yesterday, but instead I spent a good chunk of time getting some of my books cataloged in LibraryThing. I’ve wanted to do it for awhile, but only recently figured out how to use the barcode scanner app on my phone to add multiple books at a time. I’m about a third of the way done, and so far it’s been relatively painless.
- This New York Times article about services that sell huge volumes of book reviews is distressing. This quote, in particular, made me bang my head on my desk: “Reviews are the smallest piece of being successful … but it’s a lot easier to buy them than cultivating an audience.” Luckily, Chrisbookarama has offered up The Fake Review-inator has a funny antidote. You could also visit this website to help you calm down (Spoiler Alert: Manatees!).
- I have a new Audible credit, and I have no idea what to use it for. Any recommendation for fabulous audio books that will make packing our house less tedious?
- This week, I finished reading The End of Men by Hanna Rosin, which I enjoyed and disliked all at the same time. In talking with the boyfriend about it, I realized that maybe my dislike came from me expecting the book to make different or more expansive argument than it was trying to make, so I have to unpack those thoughts before I can write a review.
- Over at Book Riot, I wrote a little bit about the book that has been on my To Be Read pile for the last 12 years. Any guesses which book?
That’s all I’ve got today. Back to the packing… I’m hoping to get up two posts this week before potentially being offline for the weekend while we’re moving and getting settled in the new place. Happy Sunday!