August, September and a Moving Update

by Kim on September 3, 2012 · 10 comments

We’re still Internet-less at our new house, so this post is coming to you from my office, which is abandoned for Labor Day. I need to get ready for an online fantasy football draft tonight and catch up on a couple of projects, but also wanted to use the quiet to post a quick update. This picture, taken from my reading chair this morning, might give you a sense of where we’re at with getting organized in our new house. It’s not pretty (except for Hannah — she’s still adorable)…

Hannah helping with the move

But, I think after I get my new bookshelf (which will sit near my desk at the back right of the photo) things will start to look a bit more put together — those books really need a home, otherwise they just get in the way.

Speaking of books, despite all of the upheaval in August, I still managed to finish nine pretty excellent books:

• Winters, Ben: The Last Policeman (fiction/audiobook)
  • Straub, Emma: Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures (fiction)
  • Flynn, Gillian: Gone Girl (fiction)
  • Nunberg, Geoffrey: Ascent of the A-Word (nonfiction)
  • Povich, Lynn: The Good Girls Revolt (memoir)
  • Brooks, Joanna: The Book of Mormon Girl (memoir)
  • Gillizza, Chris: The Gospel According to The Fix (nonfiction)
  • Rosin, Hanna: The End of Men (nonfiction)
  • Heilemann, John and Halperin, Mark: Game Change (nonfiction/audiobook)

For those counting (mostly me), that puts me at 82 books read for the year. Frankly, that’s an astounding number. I’m not sure I can pick a favorite from August, since I liked most of them pretty equally. I didn’t have any mind-blowing reads, but I’m glad that I read each of them — although many for quite different reasons.

I haven’t thought much about what I want to read in September, but off the top of my head I can think of at least a few books I hope to get to this month:

Other than that, I’m pretty open to getting caught up on books I’ve missed this year. At the moment, I’m slowly making my way through Everybody Was So Young: Gerald and Sara Murphy: A Lost Generation Love Story by Amanda Vaill, a truly lovely look at two American expatriates who helped anchor that movement in France between World Wars I and II.

What are you reading this fine Labor Day?

Disclosure: I received some of the books mentioned in this post for review consideration.

bermudaonion(Kathy) September 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Your new place will feel like home before you know it!

susan September 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

82 books is quite an achievement! You’re flying. Look forward to your thoughts on Hanna Rosin’s new book and Emma Straub’s. Check out some of my September book choices at http://www.thecuecard.com. cheers.

Kim September 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

It’s a lot of books! Many more than I had read last year at this time. I’m still not sure what to attribute it to.

Julie Merilatt September 4, 2012 at 9:06 am

Don’t forget to e-mail me your new address! I have a new card and trinket to send your way, but realized I didn’t have your new house number…

Kim September 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Done! Thanks for the reminder.

Anastasia @ Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog September 4, 2012 at 10:21 am

Yay for moving in okay! Also, adorable kitty is adorable.

I’m SUPPOSED to be reading either Rot & Ruin (so I can return it to the library this weekend) or Freedom & Necessity (actually a reread, and I love it, but the tiny font size is putting me off) but actually I’m just making collages and accidentally getting high off mod podge fumes.

Kim September 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Crafting is a great way to spend time not reading. Personally, I’ve been watching a ton of TV via Netflix, now that our Internet is finally turned on.

Amy September 4, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Good luck getting all unpacked and settled in, always a crazy thing to move! Happy to see you read Good Girls Revolt and am looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Kim September 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I liked that one a lot. I have the review all written, I just need to get it scheduled.

Jeanne September 8, 2012 at 10:43 am

Hannah is always adorable.