Joining a Read-a-Long of ‘Bleak House’ by Charles Dickens

by Kim on October 31, 2012 · 12 comments

Post image for Joining a Read-a-Long of ‘Bleak House’ by Charles Dickens

From November 1 to December 31, Jenny (Jenny Love to Read) and Trish (Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity) are hosting a read-a-long of Charles Dickens’ epic novel Bleak House. (Confession: Every time I think about the title of the book, I want to sing “Brick House” by the Commodores. Maybe there’s a read-a-long song in there somewhere, Fizzy?)

Anyway, here’s a summary of the book:

Widely regarded as Dickens’s masterpiece, Bleak House centers on the generations-long lawsuit Jarndyce and Jarndyce, through which “whole families have inherited legendary hatreds.” Focusing on Esther Summerson, a ward of John Jarndyce, the novel traces Esther’s romantic coming-of-age and, in classic Dickensian style, the gradual revelation of long-buried secrets, all set against the foggy backdrop of the Court of Chancery. Mixing romance, mystery, comedy, and satire, Bleak House limns the suffering caused by the intricate inefficiency of the law.

I decided to join this read-a-long because the audio book version is narrated by Simon Vance, who I have wanted to listen to ever since Jennifer (Literate Housewife) gushed about him during Audio Book Week. It’s a weak reason, I guess, but I’m excited. I also picked up a paperback copy at Half Price Books over the weekend, so I’m set on all fronts. Happy read-a-longing!

Literate Housewife October 31, 2012 at 8:49 am

Hooray! I hope you love Simon’s work. If listening to an audiobook because he narrated it (or I gushed over him) is weak, I don’t want to be strong! ;-)

I’ve not listened to any of his Dickens work yet. I might have to give this some serious thought. I’ll keep you posted.

Kim November 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Lol, no, I don’t want to be strong either. His voice is a little dreamy :) I’m a fan so far.

Rebecca November 1, 2012 at 1:24 am

Have fun! If I wasn’t already reading The Count of Monte Cristo for a read-a-long and had a couple of blog tour books to read this month, I would join in, too. I have not read this one.

Kim November 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Yes, it would be hard to do this and The Count read-a-long, although both are really tempting.

jennygirl November 1, 2012 at 7:42 am

Yea! So glad you could join us! We are actually taking this read-along through to December 31, 2012, due to the holidays. Reading time may be decreased due to cooking, shopping, baking and eating. So take your time and so glad to have you :)

Kim November 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Oh duh, of course. I’ll change the date… I just got ahead of myself :)

softdrink November 5, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’ve been walking around singing Bleak House, too. So you’ll get your song tomorrow.

Kim November 5, 2012 at 8:27 pm

YES!!! This is the best news I’ve had all day. I can’t wait.

Care November 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm

YAY a Fizzy song! And I think a Simon Vance narration is EXCELLENT reason to audiobook it. I am to Chap 5 already and need to get the ebook so I can check back on quotes and characters.
Actually, your synopsis told me more than I knew – I never read blurbs but thankfully, it wasnt’ spoilery. :)

Kim November 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

FIZZY SONG! I am so excited right now. I grabbed a cheap paperback from Half Priced Books when I was there, which has been helping to go back and check characters and stuff.