The Sunday Salon: Snow Day Edition

by Kim on February 10, 2013 · 24 comments

image

The weather outside is frightful, so I am going to spend the day reading and drinking tea. And probably shoveling out my car, but lets not think about that just yet.

Happy Sunday, everyone! What are you reading today?

Amy February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am

Catching up on my Bleak House read-along, then wallowing in Louise Erdrich’s The Plague of Doves.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Wallowing? I hope it’s a good wallow and not a bad one :)

bermudaonion(Kathy) February 10, 2013 at 10:29 am

Good luck getting your car out. I’ve got dinner in the crock pot and will probably spend the day running errands, walking, and readin.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Digging my car out (again) this morning brought me to tears, but otherwise it wasn’t the worst snow in the world.

unfinishedperson February 10, 2013 at 11:31 am

I plan on reading more of The Shining today, but I’ll probably also take a nap and watch something on Netflix. Tomorrow, though, I should get more reading done as I don’t get into work until later in the day.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Lucky! I thought about calling it in this morning and being lazy, but felt guilty since it was possible for me to get to work, unlike many of my coworkers.

Aarti February 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Ooh, I want to read the Fagles translation of The Iliad! But not this weekend :-) Hope you enjoy it!

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I ended up getting distracted by some other books and only reading a little bit of that one. Someday though!

Lu February 10, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Michael and I got the snow off my windshield, because we felt like slackers for not doing something. Then we went and got Thai food. When we got home, I finished reading January First by Michael Schofield about his daughter’s battle with schizophrenia. And we’re having pancakes for breakfast! Happy Sunday :)

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day! I am officially jealous.

Diane@BibliophilebytheSea February 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I found it awfully nice being snowbound with not having to give myself permission to stay home.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I almost wish this had happened on a weekday so I could have stayed home from work. No such luck for me though :(

Jennifer February 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

We ended up getting around 5″ of the white stuff. Not a ton but I still used it as an excuse to read all day ;)

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

That’s about the right amount — enough to make it sensible to stay inside, not so much that it’s a major chore to dig out of.

Camille February 11, 2013 at 9:00 am

It must be a Louise Erdrich weekend because I finally cracked open The Round House.No snow or rain here in the dry southwest.We could use some :)

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I hope you liked The Round House. I haven’t read Louise Erdrich since college, I think.

Amy February 11, 2013 at 10:07 am

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a rainy Sunday. I hope you enjoyed your tea and books. I spent yesterday in much the same way although due to many inches of snow outside rather than rain!

I recently read and reviewed Safe fom the Sea. I hope you’re enjoying it as I thought it was a beautiful book.

I hope you have a good week, Kim

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Unfortunately, I got distracted yesterday and didn’t read either of the books in the photo! I wanted to read something more romantic to post about for Thursday, so ended up picking up Diane Ackerman’s recent memoir, 100 Names for Love.

Andi @ Estella's Revenge February 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

No reading for me — which seems to be a theme lately. I hope you enjoyed your cozy time!

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I haven’t been reading much lately either — it comes and goes, I think. I’ve loved your decorating posts though!

Jenny February 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm

The weather outside is frightful here too, but I can’t think of a better rotten-weather book than the Fagels Iliad. Sensible you! If I’d thought of it this snowy weekend I’d have done the same.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I made the mistake of getting bogged down in the introduction and then couldn’t concentrate! I am going to save it for another snow day (of which I expect at least one more this season).

Ash February 11, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I can’t believe how much more snow you guys have gotten up there than me! My cousin lives in Minneapolis and they just have piles. We got rain this past weekend.

Kim February 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm

It’s crazy! In this storm, we got almost 12 inches which seems nuts. The pile at the bottom of my driveway is over my head at this point — impossible to shovel on top of anymore!