Quantcast

Currently: The Sister’s Birthday Edition

by Kim on June 16, 2013 · 26 comments

image

Time // 8:50 a.m.

Place // My sister’s kitchen table in Minneapolis

Eating // Cherries (I cannot get enough of them this time of year)

Drinking // Water

Reading // I had a pretty quiet reading week. I didn’t finish any books, mostly because I spent a lot of my evenings at meetings. The weather was also beautiful, so I tried to get outside as much as possible. The one book I did spend time reading was Duel With the Devil by Paul Collins which is really great so far. I’m not sure what reading I will get done today either — we are celebrating Father’s Day this afternoon and then I have to drive home, not condusive to reading much.

Listening // After a string of “meh” audiobooks, I checked out Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness from the library to try and break the streak. It’s pretty good so far, although I want to move past the Elizabethan intrigue and into some magical learning as soon as possible.

Loving// It seems like summer has finally arrived in Minnesota! It’s been in the 70s most of the week, with lots of sunshine and warm evenings. I hate to get too excited about it since if we’ve learned anything this year it’s that weather can change in an instant, but for now I’ll take it.

Avoiding// Yesterday was my sister’s birthday party, so we had several people over to her apartment after mini-golf for pizza and games. We have to clean up the place today, which I’m not especially excited about!

Picturing // Since I don’t think I explained the photos up top, they are the giant ferns next to my house (encroaching on my favorite purse), the view at the end of a weeknight run, and my siblings and I (the three on the right) with family friends who are practically siblings after mini-golf yesterday.

Looks like it’s going to be a short post today. The dishes (and the sunshine) are calling my name. Happy Sunday, everyone! What are you reading today?

Bryan G. Robinson June 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

Reading The Rural Life by Verlyn Klinkenborg and if get that done, will be starting When You Are Engulfed in Flames on audiobook.

I hate evening meetings for you…I was there as a newspaper editor/reporter years ago. I “feel” your pain. :) I mean :(.

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I don’t usually mind an evening meeting, but this week it felt like I had something going on every night of the week. It’s hard to get anything else done that way!

bermudaonion(Kathy) June 16, 2013 at 10:05 am

You call 70 degrees summer weather? We’ll be lucky if it gets down to 70 at night.

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

It probably would have been more accurate to say “early summer” rather than summer, since it can sometimes get up on 90 – 100 degrees here. But it’s more generally between 70-85 during most of summer, I think. We did have snow in April though, so I feel like we’ve earned some nice weather here :)

Jennifer June 16, 2013 at 10:06 am

The weather here has been quite nice lately too. I think I’m still waiting for a freak snowstorm ;) We had one in May that was bizarre. MN and WI are similar that way. Weird weather!

Sounds your sis had a great bday, have fun cleaning up today ;)

Have a great week!

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Super weird weather! This has been the winter that never ended. About a week ago I went to an evening picnic and had to wear a coat and gloves it was so chilly. Insane!

Vasilly June 16, 2013 at 10:23 am

Happy Sunday! You can’t get enough of cherries right now and I can’t get enough of grapes. Summer has its perks. :-) Today I’m rereading the newest Neil Gaiman book. Enjoy your day.

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I forget how much I love cherries until they go on sale in the summer. Then I devour them for about a month straight. Yum. I have Gaiman’s new book on my shelf — can’t wait!

Kelly June 16, 2013 at 10:37 am

I just finished Chris Bohjalian’s Light in the Ruins and now I’m reading It’s Not Love, It’s Just Paris. Both posts will be up on the book’s pub dates in July and August but I have a review for TLC book tours going up tomorrow!

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Sounds like some great read!

Joanna June 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I can’t get enough of cherries right now either. :-) Happy Sunday!

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Summer cherries are amazing. I love them.

Andi (@estellasrevenge) June 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Sorry to tell you, but one of my HUGE annoyances with Shadow of Night was far too much Elizabethan intrigue and not nearly enough magical learning. So frustrating!!!

It sounds like a fun weekend!

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Dang! They’re just getting ready to leave France and I was hoping it would get into some magic soon… sigh. I just want Diana to be super powerful instead of constantly at the mercy of other people. Witch power!

Jeanne June 17, 2013 at 7:39 am

I reacted a little as Kathy did to the idea of 70′s being summer weather. And I’m with you on not reading or writing much because there are so many other things to do this summer!

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm

When it finally gets nice in MN, all I want to do it be outside. Happily I can often read outside, but there are a lot of other fun things too.

Charlie June 17, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Your weekend sounds lovely! Making the most of the weather is a good idea this year, if the similarities between countries are anything to go by (it’s back to cloudy here).

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’d hate to look at a calendar to see how many rainy days we had in a row. It was a lot! I have to get some sun when I can.

Jenny June 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Oh lovely sunshine! I agree with commenters who scoff at calling 70 degrees summer weather — I know it’s all relative, but I am jealous of that summer. (But not of course jealous of the winter. I am shamefully grateful for unimpressive NYC winters.)

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Yeah, we had snow just two months ago, so we’re just having a delayed summer season. It all evens out, I think.

Clint June 17, 2013 at 9:22 pm

I sounded like you had a great weekend :) Here is Wisconsin the weather is basically the same.

I am currently reading Food Inc…I am loving this book so far. I am aware of what i ear..it is unreal the amount of GMOs that are in foods that we eat.

Kim June 17, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Interesting! I hope you are enjoying the book.

Rebecca @ Love at First Book June 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm

What a nice post! I’m so glad the weather is clearing up and the pictures are all lovely!

-Rebecca @ Love at First Book

Kim June 23, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I am so happy about the weather too. It feels like it’s been a long time coming!

Brooke June 18, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Glad your weather is improving! I think I wouldn’t survive outside of the Southern US because I love that we’ve been in the upper 80s and low 90s for a couple of weeks (at least) now. Happy summer reading!

Kim June 23, 2013 at 8:33 pm

We’re normally up in the 80s – 90s around 4th of July, but I’m not sure we’re going to make it this year. The lake certainly isn’t going to be warm :)