Quantcast

Currently | Back to Reality

by Kim on December 30, 2013 · 24 comments

wpid-1127201320914.jpg

Time // 8:30 p.m. on Sunday

Place // My armchair with a cup of tea by my side and a football game on the television.

Reading // Despite my incredible optimism that I would read all the books over my Christmas break, I only managed to finish two: Priscilla by Nicholas Shakespeare (Jan. 15 from Harper) and Cartwheel by Jennifer Dubois. That puts me at 104 books for the year, just a few shy of the 110 books I read last year.

Enjoying // I had a wonderful Christmas visiting my family and seeing many close friends. All the celebrating can be exhausting, but so worth it.

Opening // Although I got a bunch of great presents, my favorite bookish present was from my sister: a custom-printed infinity scarf with the text of Dumbledore’s “Remember Cedric” speech from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It’s one of my favorite parts of the series. I also received two books this year — Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman and Paul Clark Newell Jr. and The Unwinding by George Packer — but that is more than OK since one of my big goals for the year is going to be getting my book collection under control.

Blogging // If this week goes smoothly, my plan is to do a look back at 2013 in bookish stats on Wednesday and a look forward to goals for 2014 on Friday. But the way my evenings have been going, I have no idea how feasible that will be!

Feeling // Cold! It’s crazy chilly here in Minnesota. We also keep our house pretty cool to keep our electric bill down, so I’ve got the blankets piled on.

Loving and Hating // I bought a couple new pieces of furniture with Christmas money. I am excited about how they are going to help organize my office, but I hate how messy things seem to get before they can be put back in order!

Ciska @ Ciska's Book Chest December 30, 2013 at 6:41 am

That scarf is very pretty and a great gift idea! Hope it will help keeping you warm. We always work with extra sweaters and blankets too hoping to keep the bill low. Fortunately reading is a hobby that works perfect in a blanket fortress.

Kim December 30, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’m starting to think that I need a snuggie so I can read and keep my arms warm!

bookmammal December 30, 2013 at 6:46 am

I simply love that scarf!
Cartwheel and Empty Mansions are both on my TBR list. Enjoy!

Kailana December 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I love that scarf, but then I love scarves in general. :) I also got Empty Mansions for Christmas and can’t wait to check it out!

Kim December 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I’m a scarf addict. The boyfriend has politely suggested that I stop acquiring so many scarves… but it’s Christmas so I am ignoring him!

Kim @ Bookmark To Blog December 30, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Glad you had a good holiday. I actually didn’t get any bookish related things for Christmas this year. I didn’t really ask for anything though. It’s so cold and snowy here in Utah. No furniture sounds like a fun treat. I would love to get a couple new pieces.

Kim December 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I was a little surprised I only got two books, but that really was a blessing… I do not need more books at the moment!

Diane@BibliophilebytheSea December 30, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I adore your “print” scarf – how cool Kim. Happy New Year

Shannon @ River City Reading December 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Two great books – I absolutely loved both of them! And that scarf is just fantastic.

Andi (@estellasrevenge) December 30, 2013 at 7:27 pm

That scarf is SO COOL. And I’m tickled that you have Empty Mansions! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Kim December 30, 2013 at 9:16 pm

It skyrocketed to the top of my list as soon as I got it because of your praise for it. I’m in love so far.

Kelly from Readlately.com December 30, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Nice to see you back!

Monika December 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

What a great scarf! And yay on all the books you’ve read in 2013. Wonderful!

Laurie C December 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm

My Christmas break runs through Wednesday, but it’s fast slipping away! Love the scarf!

Jenny @ Reading the End December 30, 2013 at 8:24 pm

What a fantastic gift, I love the scarf! Where did she get it from? There are people in my life who need such a thing.

Kim December 30, 2013 at 9:17 pm

She did a custom order from this Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/storiarts

Apparently the artist offers the chance for custom orders once in awhile, you just have to watch the shop.

Athira December 31, 2013 at 9:42 am

That scarf looks awesome! I love it! Such a great idea for a gift.

Vasilly December 31, 2013 at 10:28 am

What?! No link to where I can buy the scarf?! :-) Did you give us a link before? Nevermind. I see the link in a previous comment! I love looking at your pictures every week. They’re so sharp and nice.

Happy New Year!

Kim January 1, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Duh, I should have put the link in the post. I will add it!

And thank you! I take almost all of them on my phone, so I’m surprised they end up looking ok. Mostly I just end up taking a bunch until I get one that isn’t blurry!

Lu January 1, 2014 at 12:24 am

I’m obsessed with this scarf and I’ve been telling everyone who will listen about it!!! Happy New Year, Kim!

Katie @ Doing Dewey January 1, 2014 at 7:30 pm

What an awesome scarf! I’m not sure what I’d get printed on one, but I love the idea :)

Jennifer January 1, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Looks like you had a nice holiday! I love the scarf!

I don’t know how you handle the cold weather! I live in California and we had a couple weeks of freezing weather where temperatures dropped to like 30 degrees and we ware all going crazy!

Kim January 5, 2014 at 11:08 am

See, here in MN if it gets to 30 in the winter, we run around without coats on :) It’s insane.

Allison @ The Book Wheel January 4, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I LOVE that infinity scarf! It is probably the only scarf I’d wear.