My Bat Signal for Book Nerds

by Kim on February 10, 2014 · 25 comments

I’ve mentioned the beautiful scarf that my sister got me for Christmas a couple of times, but neglected to share some of the best details about it. Hence, this post that originally appeared on Book Riot

wpid-IMG_20131224_181316.jpgMy sister is notoriously good at picking out Christmas presents, but this year she really outdid herself with my gift, a custom, screen printed infinity scarf with text from one of my favorite books, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It is the most awesome thing in the world.

The scarf was made by artist Tori Tissell, who sells screen printed items on Etsy in her store Storiarts. Most of the items for sale at Storiarts are based on classic literature. But once in awhile the shop opens up for custom orders, which are announced periodically on the shop’s Facebook page and Twitter feed.

The passage that’s printed on my scarf is one of my favorite sections of the series, Dumbledore’s “Remember Cedric” speech. His last few lines — “Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what it easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory” — make me tear up every time I read them.

Obviously, the scarf has a lot of personal meaning to me. My sister and I have really fond memories of reading the Harry Potter books together as kids and as adults. And in my day job as a journalist, I work with words constantly. Having the chance to wear words that are important means something to me.

But the most unexpectedly wonderful thing about this is scarf is the way it opens up conversations with other book lovers. I was going through the drive through at Caribou Coffee last week when the barista asked me about the scarf. When I told her the text was from Harry Potter, she called over both of the other baristas to take a look at it and we got to nerd out about the Harry Potter books while I was waiting for my chai latte.

I’ve gotten asked about it by close friends when visit them and complete strangers in the grocery store. When I posted a photo of the scarf on Facebook the day after Christmas, it got more “Likes” than anything I’ve put up in months. Book people are the most amazing people, but reading is so often a private experience that it can be hard to pick each other out. The best thing about this gift is that it’s provided a visible signal that invites other book nerds to come and find me.

Tanya Patrice February 10, 2014 at 5:43 am

That scarf is awesome! Book nerds unite :-)

Swapna February 10, 2014 at 6:59 am

This scarf is AWESOME, especially since I tear up too whenever I read these words. I love book nerd gifts like this. I might look into getting a custom one too…now, just what book to pick…

Kim February 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm

It’s one of my favorite sections of the series because it’s such a turning point for all of the characters.

bermudaonion (Kathy) February 10, 2014 at 7:01 am

Your sister sounds like mine – somehow they just come up with the most perfect gifts! I can tell that scarf is very special to you!

Heather February 10, 2014 at 8:11 am

That scarf is gorgeous. How awesome to have such a great sister!

SuziQoregon February 10, 2014 at 8:42 am

I love it! And you picked a fabulous passage for your scarf. I’d love to get a custom one but it might take me forever to pick out which book and passage.

Kim February 15, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I’m glad Jenny just picked it for me — if I had been left to my own devices I don’t think I would have been able to choose something.

Rebecca @ Love at First Book February 10, 2014 at 8:45 am

JEALOUS! :D

Diana February 10, 2014 at 8:51 am

Hi! I saw this post on Book Riot and just ordered the Romeo and Juliet scarf for myself! And subscribed to your blog :)

Meg February 10, 2014 at 9:44 am

Absolutely love this, and love that it’s from HP! My birthday is only five months away . . .

Kailana February 10, 2014 at 10:49 am

I am hoping to get one. I think I might wait for next winter just because we are going away soon. I also can’t decide what one I want!

Athira February 10, 2014 at 11:39 am

I first thought that was a paper scarf, but now I had a chance to look at it carefully. I love it – it is definitely a wonderful gift!

Kim February 15, 2014 at 4:45 pm

It’s made out of a sort of a sweatshirt material, I guess. I’m not sure what that fabric is called. It’s really lovely and warm though.

Krystyn February 10, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Oh I need one of those….I will soon be a bit poorer but have a beautiful scarf! I love it!!

Trisha February 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm

This has me wanting my own bat signal for sure.

Care February 10, 2014 at 2:50 pm

So NEAT! and that is sparks fun conversations is just THE BEST.

Sheila (Book JOurney) February 10, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I love it so much! I hardly ever wear scarves I dont know why, just never really got into it – but this I would wear.

Jenny @ Reading the End February 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hahahaha, nice — it’s cool to have an outward signifier that you want to talk about books.

Jennine G. February 11, 2014 at 7:06 am

I just read another blog where someone had bought this scarf but with a Jane Austen novel’s text on it. Very cool. I wonder how many different books it comes in.

Andi @ Estella's Revenge February 11, 2014 at 11:52 am

*sigh*

I just love this. Thank you for posting more about it!

Jessica @ Quirky Bookworm February 13, 2014 at 3:20 pm

That’s so awesome!! Your post about your sisterly HP club inspired me to start my own online book club this year, and we’re reading Chamber of Secrets right now! :)

(Also: this reminds me a little bit of the way sports fanatics are. Noel is a HUGE 49ers fan, and has a couple of different t-shirts and hats. And it’s nuts how anytime we go anywhere, other people get all “GO NINERS!”-y. Sounds like your book scarf has the same kind of draw!)

Kim February 15, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I saw the post about your HP book group — so cool!!

Allison @ The Book Wheel February 13, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I absolutely love that scarf! I’ve had one of these literary infinity scarves on my wish list for a while but my husband keeps forgetting. SO, I’ll be sending him this post as another reminder :)

Jeanne February 19, 2014 at 10:19 am

I love your title. A bat signal! Everyone come and talk about books NOW!