Some True Confessions of a Book Buying Addict

by Kim on May 15, 2014 · 33 comments

trip to half price books in May

Last weekend I made a surprise trip to the Twin Cities to surprise my mom and grandmas for Mother’s Day. On my drive back to Small Town USA on Monday, I made a stop at a new Half Price Books. I went in with two full bags of books to sell and walked out feeling virtuous because I only bought two books: by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst and Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

When I got home I realized that the reason I didn’t feel compelled to buy more books is because I’ve been buying books like a madwoman for the last month.

Normally the boyfriend doesn’t comment on the volume of book mail. Last week, he finally asked me if I was planning to open a library. When he notices all the books, it indicates a problem. But whatever, I love books. Here’s what I’ve brought home recently:

• The Transcriptionist by Amy Rowland
  • We Were Liars by e. lockhart
  • The People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara
  • The Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward
  • The Last Girlfriend on Earth by Simon Rich
  • Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
  • Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (previously read)
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (previously read)
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (previously read)

The “previously read” books are stories that I loved and want to have in my personal collection. The rest are books that I am just really excited about. But… this list doesn’t include the review copies that have arrived recently, nor does it consider that I’m heading to Book Expo America at the end of the month where I will inevitably bring home more books. Yikes. After BEA I need to buckle down on my goal to cut back on the number of books in my house by buying less and reading more.

What exciting books have you brought home recently? Which of these recent buys should I pick up first?

Shannon @ River City Reading May 15, 2014 at 7:19 am

In March I kept a list of every book that came into my house and it was the worst (best?) thing I’d ever seen. I decided I was going to not request any books until after BEA (when I’m sure I won’t need to request more anyway), so things have slowed down a bit. It’s funny how we don’t really realize it until we actually track it or someone tells us.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:31 am

I had a list going in January and February and the same thing happened — it was good to know, but it also just made me distressed. Since then I’ve been trying to keep things updated in LibraryThing which seems to be working.

Sandy May 15, 2014 at 7:52 am

DARK PLACES! I love that girl. She is so twisted, I love it. I just got We Were Liars on the Kindle yesterday. I couldn’t stand the pressure.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

Gillian Flynn is so creepy and awesome. I love how she straddles the line between thrillers and literary fiction. She’s so good!

Meg May 15, 2014 at 8:41 am

I haven’t been buying books or accepting review copies in advance of our move next month (books are so. heavy., as we all well know!), but I know I’m going to have a hard time controlling myself once my new library is set up. I’ve heard good things about We Were Liars — that one’s on my radar, too!

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:32 am

I should have been resisting books for the last few months, since I think we may also be moving soonish, but that hasn’t happened! I think as long as I move the books myself, the boyfriend won’t have much to say about it.

Citizen Reader May 15, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’m really curious to see what you’ll think of “The Men We Reaped.” Start there!!

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

Excited isn’t quite the right word, but I am looking forward to that one.

Priscilla May 15, 2014 at 9:51 am

I’m going to go with The People in the Trees….I am reading it now and am so impressed. That said, I love Dark Places! I recommended it to someone as a “light read,” and they thought I was nuts, but whatever. Finally, I am also looking forward to reading We Were Liars. Happy reading!

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

I just started The People in the Trees and I feel similarly — Perina is such a megalomaniac, but, so far, interesting to read about.

Kelly from Readlately.com May 15, 2014 at 10:10 am

What a great list! Keep me posted on Men We Reaped, We Were Liars and S! I’ve wanted to buy S so many times but the price always stopped me – and I’m not sure if I’ll love the marginalia format. Hurray for book buying!

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

At Half Priced Books it’s was only $17.50, which is a lot of a used book but not really for that one. I hope all of the “pieces” are there, but I suppose I won’t know if something is missing :)

Danielle May 15, 2014 at 10:53 am

The other day my fiance asked me the SAME thing about opening a library! We are in the process of buying a house and I’m so glad there’s a spare bedroom he agreed could be a library/office!! haha! He said, “Where else would we put all of your books?!” ;)

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:35 am

I really, really want to move to a house that has space to do a library/reading room. I’m hoping we can find a rental with an extra bedroom so I can do that :)

Jenny @ Reading the End May 15, 2014 at 2:47 pm

THE PEOPLE IN THE TREES THAT IS WHAT YOU SHOULD READ NEXT, but don’t let me build it up too much, it’s just okay. (NO IT IS AWESOME READ IT READ IT.)

That is so many books! I don’t buy books ever (hardly), as I know that once the lid was off that can of worms I’d never be able to get it back on. :p I’m trying to keep my ARC requests to a minimum as well, though we’ll see if I’m able to manage that.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:37 am

I’m convinced, The People in the Trees is the one! This is a lot of books, even for me, to buy over a month or so. Usually I’m more responsible!

Sheila (Book Journey) May 15, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Ahhhh hugs friend… I do the same thing. :) If I loved the ARC and want it for my collection I buy the book… I give books as gifts – If I loved it on audio I will try it in book format or vise versa…. books books….

what am I excited about? Currently I can not wait to dig into Chevy Stevens new read, she is always awesome.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:37 am

I read a fair number of library books, so I like to add them to my collection if I loved them — or get a print copy if I listened on audio.

tanya (52 books or bust) May 16, 2014 at 4:01 am

This spring I have been overwhelmed with books, mostly ARCs. But when I look ahead I can see a break coming up in about July and in August I have nothing pending. I can’t wait. It means I can get to all the books I’ve been stockpiling around the house.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:38 am

I’ve been doing a decent job of balancing my books and review books this year, but yeah, I’m excited for a lull in new books come July/August.

Jennine G. May 16, 2014 at 3:53 pm

My latest purchase was Eleanor and Park, but I’ve been very controlled in the buying department. The ARC department is another story. I’ve got three more on the radar. I am making myself crack down and read what’s piled by my bed first (that’s 23 books currently).

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’ve been moderately controlled with ARCs, but year, I’ve got a few of those to finish too. At least I’ll never run out of books to read :)

Care May 16, 2014 at 5:23 pm

YAY Dark Places! I have had a recommendation to read We Were Liars before it gets spoiled (over exposure?) so I might go for that one.

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:40 am

I picked We Were Liars up and finished it in a single evening. It’s a super quick, smart, addictive read.

Jeanne May 16, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I’m about as anxious as Jenny to hear what you think of The People In the Trees!

Kim May 18, 2014 at 9:40 am

I like it so far, although I can TOTALLY see how Perina is terrible and going to keep being terrible. I love the way it started with a news story.

Anita May 18, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I’ve been purchasing books for Booktopia Asheville, I want to read all the latest from the authors attending and since I’d only read the books from Wiley Cash and Ariel Lawhon I had at minimum 5 books to purchase. So I’m 3 down. I also bought 2 paperbacks of books I’d read. Sitting here trying to think is that all I’ve bought in the past month….hmmmm. I’ve also had review copies arrive, and the stacks for May/June/July are big…eeek!! I have a few dangerous buying spots, bookstores, makeup stores, shoes….I’m fairly controlled in all other areas…ha ha.

Kim May 19, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Yeah… this doesn’t include the review copy stacks. Those are getting a little out of control too.

susan May 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

As newspaper person (both you and I) … we need to read the Amy Rowland book as I’m quite curious about what she has to say. And don’t penalize your book buying — instead enjoy! After you read some — you can get rid of the ones that didn’t capture you. Cheers. http://www.thecuecard.com/

Kim May 25, 2014 at 10:15 am

I totally grabbed that one because of the news connection. It’s one of my fiction weaknesses, books about news or reporters.

Melinda @ The Book Musings May 30, 2014 at 10:14 am

This month has been bad for me too, in terms of book buying. Those books, plus the book mail is quite a lot. Sometimes I get overwhelmed when I look at the books I haven’t read yet. We will never stop buying books anyway :)

Petra June 11, 2014 at 7:52 am

I know how you feel… I used to have a lot of books but I’m trying to become a minimalist and do not store too many of them: I keep only those which have a special meaning for me and I feel that I should have them, the rest goes to a Little free library we have nearby so others can enjoy them as well. I think it’s a brilliant idea and the best way how to survive as a book buying addict… :)