This is a list of books I’ve completed in 2014. The links below go to lists of books finished by year, as well as an archive of all my reviews organized by author — this page isn’t updated as often as I’d like it to be, but it’s serviceable. Information on my occasionally used rating system is at the bottom.
- Enger, Lin: The High Divide (fiction) (Sept. 23 from Algonquin)
- LeDuff, Charlie: Detroit: An American Autopsy (audiobook/nonfiction)
- Bardugo, Leigh: Shadow and Bone (audiobook/YA fantasy)
- Lee, Chang-rae: On Such a Full Sea (fiction)
- Doughty, Caitlin: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (memoir)
- Booker, Sheri: Nine Years Under (memoir)
- Bardugo, Leigh: Siege and Storm (audiobook/YA fantasy)
- Edmonds: Michael: Risking Everything (nonfiction)
- Bardugo, Leigh: Ruin and Rising (audiobook/YA fantasy)
- Harris, Blake: Console Wars(nonfiction)
- Thomas, Rob: Veronica Mars: The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line(fiction/audio book)
- lockhart, e.: We Were Liars (YA fiction)
- Poundstone, William: Rock Breaks Scissors (nonfiction)
- Novak, B.J.: One More Thing (short stories)
- Ames, Robert: The Good Spy (nonfiction)
- Johansen, Erika: The Queen of the Tearling (YA fiction/fantasy)
- Goetz, Thomas: The Remedy (nonfiction)
- Weir, Andy: The Martian (fiction/audio book)
- Jamison, Leslie: The Empathy Exams (essays)
- Blanding, Michael: The Map Thief (nonfiction)
- Ojito, Mirta: Hunting Season (nonfiction)
- McCraken, Elizabeth: An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination (memoir)
- Patchett, Ann: Truth and Beauty (memoir)
- Vaughan, Brian K. and Staples, Fiona: Saga Vol. 1 (graphic novel)
- Vaughan, Brian K. and Staples, Fiona: Saga Vol. 2 (graphic novel)
- Vaughan, Brian K. and Staples, Fiona: Saga Vol. 3 (graphic novel)
- Sloan, Robin: Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore (fiction)
- Hicklin, Nathaniel: The Adventures of Israel St. James (YA fiction)
- Offill, Jenny: Dept. of Speculation (fiction)
- Ghattas, Kim: The Secretary (nonfiction)
- Oyeyemi, Helen: Boy, Snow, Bird (fiction)
- Offerman, Nick: Paddle Your Own Canoe (memoir/audio book)
- Clarke, Caroline: Postcards from Cookie (memoir)
- Thompson, Anne: The $11 Billion Year (nonfiction)
- Harford, Tim: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (nonfiction)
- Janik, Erika: Marketplace of the Marvelous (nonfiction)
- Hoffman, Carl: Savage Harvest (nonfiction)
- Deraniyagala, Sonali: Wave (memoir)
- Rowell, Rainbow: Attachments (fiction)
- Smith, Sally Bedell: Elizabeth the Queen (nonfiction)
- Ruderman, Wendy and Laker, Barbara: Busted (nonfiction)
- Ozeki, Ruth: A Tale for the Time Being (fiction)
- Makler, Irris: Hope Street, Jerusalem (memoir)
- Cohen, Leah Hager: I Don’t Know (nonfiction)
- Fowler, Karen Joy: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (fiction)
- Dedman, Bill and Newell, Paul Clark Jr.: Empty Mansions (nonfiction)
- Swidey, Neil: Trapped Under the Sea (nonfiction)
- Leong, Tim: Super Graphic (nonfiction)
- Bailey, Catherine: The Secret Rooms (nonfiction)
- Messud, Claire: The Emperor’s Children (fiction)
I have a sometimes-used ratings system, inspired by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog, which is as follows:
Rating: = Loved it!
Rating: = Liked it a lot.
Rating: = I’m glad I read it, but I probably won’t reread it.
Rating: = Mostly bad, but had some merit.
Rating: = Not very good, I didn’t enjoy it much.
Rating: = Did not finish, or so bad I had nothing nice to say about it.