This is a list of books I’ve completed in 2014. The links below go to lists of books finished by year, as well as an archive of all my reviews organized by author — this page isn’t updated as often as I’d like it to be, but it’s serviceable. Information on my occasionally used rating system is at the bottom.
- Hicklin, Nathaniel: The Adventures of Israel St. James (YA fiction)
- Offill, Jenny: Dept. of Speculation (fiction)
- Ghattas, Kim: The Secretary (nonfiction)
- Oyeyemi, Helen: Boy, Snow, Bird (fiction)
- Offerman, Nick: Paddle Your Own Canoe (memoir/audio book)
- Clarke, Caroline: Postcards from Cookie (memoir)
- Thompson, Anne: The $11 Billion Year (nonfiction)
- Harford, Tim: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back (nonfiction)
- Janik, Erika: Marketplace of the Marvelous (nonfiction)
- Hoffman, Carl: Savage Harvest (nonfiction)
- Deraniyagala, Sonali: Wave (memoir)
- Rowell, Rainbow: Attachments (fiction)
- Smith, Sally Bedell: Elizabeth the Queen (nonfiction)
- Ruderman, Wendy and Laker, Barbara: Busted (nonfiction)
- Ozeki, Ruth: A Tale for the Time Being (fiction)
- Makler, Irris: Hope Street, Jerusalem (memoir)
- Cohen, Leah Hager: I Don’t Know (nonfiction)
- Fowler, Karen Joy: We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves (fiction)
- Dedman, Bill and Newell, Paul Clark Jr.: Empty Mansions (nonfiction)
- Swidey, Neil: Trapped Under the Sea (nonfiction)
- Leong, Tim: Super Graphic (nonfiction)
- Bailey, Catherine: The Secret Rooms (nonfiction)
- Messud, Claire: The Emperor’s Children (fiction)
I have a sometimes-used ratings system, inspired by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog, which is as follows:
Rating: = Loved it!
Rating: = Liked it a lot.
Rating: = I’m glad I read it, but I probably won’t reread it.
Rating: = Mostly bad, but had some merit.
Rating: = Not very good, I didn’t enjoy it much.
Rating: = Did not finish, or so bad I had nothing nice to say about it.