This is a list of books I’ve completed in 2013. The links below go to lists of books finished by year, as well as an archive of all my reviews organized by author. Information on my occasionally used rating system is at the bottom.
- Hanagarne, Josh: The World’s Strongest Librarian (memoir)
- Chabon, Michael: Telegraph Avenue (fiction)
- Winder, Elizabeth: Pain, Parties, and Work (nonfiction)
- Gilbert, Jennifer: I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag (memoir)
- Woodward, Bob and Bernstein, Carl: All the President’s Men (nonfiction)
- Jensen, Dean: Queen of the Air (narrative nonfiction)
- Hochschild, Arlie Russell: The Outsourced Self (nonfiction)
- Erdrich, Louise: The Round House (fiction)
- Berger, Jonah: Contagious (audio book/nonfiction)
- Flynn, Gillian: Sharp Objects (fiction)
- Collins, Suzanne: Catching Fire (YA fiction/reread)
- Yolen, Jane: Curses! Foiled Again! (YA graphic novel)
- Shriver, Lionel: The New Republic (fiction)
- Schuppe, Jonathan: A Chance to Win (nonfiction)
- Grossman, Ausin: You (fiction)
- Zuckoff, Mitchell: Frozen in Time (nonfiction)
- Collins, Suzanne: Mockingjay (YA fiction)
- Brooks, Max: World War Z (fiction)
- Roth, Veronica: Divergent (YA fiction)
- Goodman, Matthew: Eighty Days (nonfiction)
- Moyes, Jojo: Me Before You (fiction)
- Miner, Barbara J.: Lessons from the Heartland (nonfiction)
- Mayer-Schonberger, Viktor and Cukier, Kenneth: Big Data (nonfiction)
- Kiernan, Denise: The Girls of Atomic City (narrative nonfiction)
- Sedaris, David: Let’s Explore Diabetes With Owls (essays)
- Mires, Charlene: Capital of the World (nonfiction)
- Chu, Jeff: Does Jesus Really Love Me? (nonfiction)
- Byatt, A.S.: Possession (fiction)
- Sepinwall, Alan: The Revolution Was Televised (nonfiction)
- Maaharaj, Rabindranath: The Amazing Absorbing Boy (fiction)
- Gee, Alison Singh: Where the Peacocks Sing (memoir)
- Ackerman, Diane: One Hundred Names for Love (memoir)
- Miller, Madeline: The Song of Achilles (fiction)
- Parnell, Sean: Outlaw Platoon (memoir)
- Harkness, Deborah: A Discovery of Witches (fiction/audio book)
- Groff, Lauren: Arcadia (fiction)
- Konnikova, Maria: Mastermind (nonfiction)
- Pessel, Marissa: Special Topics in Calamity Physics (fiction)
- Georges, Nicole: Calling Dr. Laura (memoir/comic book)
- Flora, Carlin: Friendfluence (nonfiction)
- Cline, Ernest: Ready Player One (audio/re-listen)
- Walker, Karen Thompson: Age of Miracles (fiction)
I have a sometimes-used ratings system, inspired by Anastasia at Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog, which is as follows:
Rating: = Loved it!
Rating: = Liked it a lot.
Rating: = I’m glad I read it, but I probably won’t reread it.
Rating: = Mostly bad, but had some merit.
Rating: = Not very good, I didn’t enjoy it much.
Rating: = Did not finish, or so bad I had nothing nice to say about it.